Tuesday, February 2, 2021

On Korean Dramas


 I am so late to the Korean drama (Kdramas) frenzy. I was in law school when Koreanovelas first appeared in GMA. The Tagalized shows did not appeal to me. Some of my classmates would buy DVDs in nearby Quiapo but with the amount of reading we did in law school, I said I no longer wanted to read subtitles in my spare time. I did buy and watch "Love Story in Harvard" then but only because one of the characters went to Harvard Law School.

When I signed up to Netflix, I binge-watched the American series I failed to watch when I was younger - Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, Friends, and Modern Family. It was during the start of ECQ that I ran out of American series that I clicked on my first Kdrama - Descendants of the Sun. The leads were so good-looking that they even ended up together in real life but then divorced. The story was also interesting even if it seemed incredible at times.

So I started clicking on the Kdramas on Netflix. Here are some that I finished:

Reply 1997 - this was set at the same time that I was finishing high school so I could relate to their growing up angst and puppy love crushes.

 


My Love from the Star and Legend of the Blue Sea - loved these because Jun Hi-hyun, the original "My Sassy Girl", is so funny.

I started Reply 1994 but I did not like the male lead. Someone recommended Reply 1988 which I did not like at first because I felt one episode was so long. Ended up bingeing on it and when it ended, it felt like I also moved away from Ssangmun-dong. This one ignited my crush on Park Bo-gum LOL.

I saw Crash Landing on You posts on Facebook while it was streaming but I wanted to watch when it was finished so I will not have to wait for the next episode. I liked it due to the North Korea aspect. Hubby and I visited the DMZ in 2010 or 2011 and it made me curious of NoKor. 

I followed CLOY with Itaewon Class which started as light and funny then became heavy drama. My chest tightened several times while watching it and I had to push myself to finish it.

Most Kdrama fans are swooning over Park Seo-jun (PSJ) so I searched for his other dramas. I started What's Wrong with Secretary Kim but I found it dragging. I clicked on Fight for My Way which was much much better.

Since I have a crush on PBG, I also tried to watch his other series. I crossed over to Viu to watch Encounter and the reality show Youth Over Flowers he did with his Reply 1988 castmates. I watched his episodes in Hyori's Bed and Breakfast 2 and finished Record of Youth even if it did not come close to Reply 1988. I started Love in the Moonlight but I'm not fond of period dramas so I did not finish it.

I also loved Start-Up and was Team Good Boy from the start! I'm a sucker for love letters and unrequited love haha.

 I am currently watching More Than Friends and Don't Dare to Dream because of Jo Jung-suk who I loved in Hospital Playlist, another great series.

The Kdramas are usually an hour long per episode - I wonder how they manage to accomplish anything when there are these great dramas to watch every day? LOL. #


No comments:

Post a Comment